A Holly, Jolly, Glittery Holiday Season
There’s something about glitter that makes me happy. It’s so shiny and bright, I can’t help but feel better when I look at it. This year instead of looking around for holiday decorations that were pre-sparkled in a colour I liked, I decided to add glitter to items I already owned. It is super easy to add glitter to anything you like. Go wild and be creative!
You will need:
- 1 can of spray adhesive
- Finely ground glitter (found in the scrapbook or stamp supply stores)
- Ziploc bags that are large enough to hold the items being glittered
- Latex gloves (this is optional, however I didn’t use gloves and I still have glitter and glue on my fingers after four vigorous hand washing sessions)
- Large cardboard box to contain over-spray (alternately you could go outside to spray your items)
- Items to make all sparkly (Suggestions: Candles, Votive Holders, Pine Cones, Plastic Toys, Christmas Ornaments, Nuts, Picture Frames, and on and on)
- Spray varnish (This will keep the glitter from falling off over time, however ONLY use spray varnish on items that will not be near an open flame – aka Do Not Use Spray Varnish on Candles.)
- Pour glitter into a Ziploc bag large enough to hold what you will be adding glitter to.
- Put on gloves, if using.
- Using the cardboard box to catch any over-spray of the spray adhesive, apply a light, even coat to your item.
- Quickly place the item into the glitter-filled Ziploc bag and coat your item liberally with glitter. The wetter the glue is, the better.
- Place item on a sheet of paper to dry. Leave the item for at least an hour to let the glue set. Note: A little bit of glitter will still fall off with use, unless you spray the item with spray varnish.
- Coat item with spray varnish if using, and let item dry overnight before using. (Repeat: Do not use spray varnish on items that will be used near an open flame.)
Enjoy your sparkly holiday!